Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Arrival of the piece

Got the call - my piece (that's what they call wig, don't know why they can't just say wig, it's not like someone who has ordered a wig has forgotten that that's what it is) has arrived. I missed the call, of course, it's me. The message basically said 'Hi this is X, Y asked me to give you a call to let you know that your piece has arrived if you would like to make an appointment whenever you are ready to be shaved'. Would so so love if I lost my phone, or was kidnapped, or was in some other situation that required a stranger to listen to my voice messages for clues and they heard that. Hilarious message. Also, they go to so much trouble to never say 'wig' in case it upsets you, but pop on in to be shaved is perfectly acceptable? Lucky I'm not sensitive!

What I can only imagine to be chemo related insomnia kicked in last night, I was exhausted but lay wide awake. 5am was the last time I looked at the clock. Lets hope that isn't around to stay, definitely something I could do without. Good news however is that all gastrointestinal issues are entirely resolved and aside from some tooth pain akin to having braces tightened and the fact that I'm shedding from places I never even knew I had hair, you would never know I had chemo last week.

I've had a strange change of heart regarding the chemo, I want the next one. This isn't even just to get it over with (believe me, it should go without saying that I want the whole thing over with) but because now that I no longer feel rubbish I feel like it has stopped working. I want it again to make sure Pacman and his fellow uninvited buddies get a constant stream of attack, no time for rest. No time to nurse their wounds and rebuild their strength. Kill kill kill. Ok, I know that to do this would give me no time to rebuild my strength either therefore kill kill killing me in the process but still. I like the feeling of progress and have never been one to be patient to get what I want. I don't even have to take any pills today. Seriously, this is really ruining my rep as 'sick person'. I am however happy I feel this way, to me it means I'm strong again and ready for round 2. Blood tests on Thursday will determine if that is in fact the case or whether my exhaustion related delirium is creating illusions of strength. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Really good to speak to you last night Sona, and you write so brilliantly.......10,000 hits ! I'm not at all surprised xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sona - I am a colleague of Nick and have been getting updates from him on your treatment. He sent me the link to your blog today and I have spent the last hour or so reading it and I just wanted to say that it is an amazing blog - its funny, sad, inspiring, heart felt and truly great. I spoke to Nick for a long time just before your official diagnosis and explained that I have been on this journey with one of my dearest closest friends who had Hodgkins Lymphoma 5 years ago and went through a very similar experience to your with diagnosis, treatment etc. The good news is that 5 years on she has gone on to have another baby and is living life to the very fullest. I know that at the time a blog like this would have been wonderful for her to have been able to read as its a real life story, no BS and you write it in just a beautifully truthful way. Your blog will give people hope, real life information and a chuckle in the face of Pacman. Hope we have the pleasure of meeting in person soon and keep well. We will keep an eye on him in the office and please keep blogging. Sharon

    ReplyDelete