Sunday, May 20, 2012

Good deeds

A big blog shout out is deserved to my wonderful friend Lucy who ran the race for life in the UK today. Without money on cancer research, Lymphoma would not be on the list of 'most treatable cancers' and I would not have a 90% chance of having at least 5 more years to live! Well done Luce, very proud of you :) Cancer patients, this cancer patient and future cancer patients of the world thank you. I promise to help in the fight as soon as I've won my own one.

This brings me on to cancer related good deeds. I read in the news yesterday that the father of a Leukemia sufferer in the UK is trying to encourage people age 18-30 to add themselves to the blood stem cell donor register.  While we hear of blood donation, platelet donation, organ donation, I had never heard of bone marrow donation or blood stem cell donation. Targeting our age group is important as young people are much more likely to be selected as a match for stem cell donation, and yet 18-30 year olds only make up 12% of the register. Only 1 in 1000 people who join the register will ever actually be called on to donate (you are only called on when a specific sick person is a match to you and needs your cells) and extracting blood stem cells can be done like a regular blood donation or bone marrow from the bone.

There are currently 36,000 people worldwide awaiting blood stem cell transplant. If my current chemo plan doesn't work, this may become 36,001. Join the register and save the life of someone like me! More info in Ireland can be obtained from the IBTS. Only takes a few minutes and you can think of it as your good deed for the day/ week/ month/ year!

No comments:

Post a Comment