Friday, May 18, 2012

Chemo brain

I had heard of this concept - 'your short term memory and concentration may be affected, this should return to normal in the months following chemotherapy. We call it 'chemo brain' in the biz'. Oh you crazy cats coming up with joke-like names for medical conditions in an attempt to better communicate with the cool kids.

I put this down to yet another one of those rare 'may happen but never really do' side effects. 'Painkiller plus, may help headache and period pain, may cause heart attack, stroke, stomach ulcer, chronic diarrhea, liver failure, blindness, leprosy and death of a pet'. The more days that pass the more I think I may actually be suffering from this chemo brain.

It started small, forgetting I had asked a friend to come round on a certain day, not remembering who I had written replies to and who I had not. I figured this was just the effect of the chaos that suddenly engulfed my life and mind. Yesterday I got off at the wrong exit for work - Ive done this drive at least twice a day for 6 years and a million times before that. How can I get off at the wrong exit? I took Louie for a walk but forgot his lead. I ran around on the beach with him and 3 hours later at 430pm realised I had not put on a bra in the morning and had been swinging free all day. I came home, cooked the dinner and VERY nearly poured a pot of boiling water on the hob instead of in the sink. Then got in the shower and dumped such an almighty handful of shampoo on my head that it fell down my face and into my eyes blinding me temporarily. How do you forget you were made bald a mere two days ago?? I'm wondering if I should be allowed operate heavy machinery. I'm scared as to what I'll do next. I'm a danger to myself and others.

Today, Louie goes on holidays to the doggie minder and Nick, the family and I head off for a fancy pants spa weekend. First though there's a lot of laundry, cleaning and preparation to do before the big chemo truck hits me again next week and I'm incapacitated. Probably for the best that I'm kept indoors when unsupervised anyway. Safer.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy pal, you deserve some pampering. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you all have a great weekend...we are off pampering as well....Macdonald Hotels ring a bell?....38 years ago today we 'tied the knot' so the odd glass of wine may pass our lips tonight. We will text you after dinner...if we are able!!!! All our love Ann & Phil xxxx

    ReplyDelete