Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Dedicated to Nick

Nick and I started seeing each other 3 years ago today. After 3 months (and only 3 weekend long 'dates') he moved to Ireland from the UK, and in with me leaving his job, friends and family behind. The recession meant it took him 6 months to find a paying job during which I supported us both. Since then we have driven an ambulance from Dublin to Mongolia, bought, rebuilt, decorated and fully furnished a 4 bedroom house, raised an insane beagle and most recently, dealt with a cancer diagnosis and, worse, cancer treatment.

In our short 3 years we have laughed, cried, hugged and argued (who am I kidding, him laughing and hugging, me crying and arguing) our way through some relatively big challenges. Some self inflicted, some out of our hands, but all difficult. We have come out from each stronger than before. Before each one of these challenges, someone has used the famous 'this will make or break you' line (Nothing like 2 months, alone together, living in an ambulance with no air conditioning driving through mountain ranges and desserts in 50 degrees to test your patience). Each one has made us.

This time more than ever, I honestly don't know what I would do without him. He is stronger, calmer and more patient than I am. He gets forgotten in all my thank yous but he is the most important person, always there, keeping me laughing and keeping me strong. Thank you Nick. I really hope however, that you never need me to do the same for you. I would find this much harder the other way around.

Unfortunately, there will be no celebrating today. Today I am tied to the couch, zombied, chemo'd. Still no nausea, for which I cannot express my gratitude to whatever pharma company manufactured those anti-sickness drugs, but just generally floored. Aching all over, staring at walls trying to figure out why I went into the hall, wondering if I should risk food in case it ignites the debilitating nausea of last time.  Back to bed seems like the only option. Celebrations will have to wait until it passes. And it will pass.

In general, round 2 seems to be much better, I think I'll be back to normal a day earlier this time (I seem to be a day ahead of where I was at this time on round 1). I am feeling hopeful. We will get through this too. Then we can get back to the self inflicted challenges. The fun ones :) Alaska to Argentina in a mini anyone?

4 comments:

  1. You're lucky to have each other hun. His support is amazing, but ur pretty fantastic yourself too Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary to you both....hopefully we will see you very soon and we can celebrate with a glass of wine or two!!! All our love Ann & Phil xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done today Sona and happy anniversary! Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh oooooh pick me! pick me!! I'll come :)

    A very happy anniversary to you guys x

    ReplyDelete