Sunday, May 20, 2012

Spa'd

Spa'd - the opposite of chemo'd. Bit of pampering of my poor ravaged body went down a treat. Lots of food, lots of rubbing, lots of lying down - all very much appreciated and even needed. For the most part you are able to forget you are a cancer patient. Things that reminded me:

1) Being bald (nearly) in pools, saunas etc. People, being people, do stare. I figure however that since I still have eyebrows and certainly am not thin, I don't look 'sick' and so I was probably being put in the 'thin haired feminist hippy' box in people's head as opposed to the 'cancer patient' box. I quickly got used to it and within a few minutes was strutting around proudly with my peach fuzz on show.
2)Being told how much I 'deserved' my massage and facial because of all I'd been through repeatedly while they were happening. I'm assuming they felt this way as a result of the cancer as opposed to anything else going on in my life at the moment.
3) Having to, for the first time in my life, tick yes on the 'have you ever been diagnosed with any of the following' section on the initial consultation form. Suppose I better get used to this, it's never going to be no again.
4) For once not being told I have oily skin and in fact being told that the chemo is doing good things to my skin, an unexpected upside to chemo. It may in fact be the only upside. Besides the whole cancer killing thing I suppose.

None of these could outweigh the bed, the food, the treatments, the warmth, the sleep, the relaxation. I may have to do a monthly spa visit. I do after all deserve it after all I've been through. At least that's what they tell me. What reason do they have to lie?

Now, I need to go pick Louie up from his holidays. One more day before the chemo truck hits me...

No comments:

Post a Comment