Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Neulasta- my new worst enemy and best friend

Due to low white blood cell counts (turns out I'm not as good at bouncing back as we thought) I will now need a weekly injection to boost them in order to avoid delaying my chemo treatments. This shot is Neulasta. I love that something exists that will prevent delays, as second to the chemo not working, delays are my biggest fear at the moment. I am also delighted that despite being over €1000 per shot I get it for free due to this great health system we have that everyone else seems to hate, I hate it.

If it's not bad enough that I had to sit with the syringe in my hand for hours trying to build up the courage to do it (stick this needle into my own stomach) before eventually giving up and driving myself to the hospital to beg a nurse to do it for me, it causes 'moderate bone pain' as it jolts your bone marrow into overdrive production of cells. Moderate my a**e. You can never really appreciate how many bones are in the human body until they all start to hurt at once. I feel like I'm in one of those medieval (no co-incidence that this word is medi-evil) torture devices that would stretch you by pulling your arms and legs simultaneously. Medi-evil is right. Medicine is evil. In the case of chemo at least. Surely they must be able to find a cancer treatment in general that isn't worse than the disease itself. 

The good news is that due to my squeamish-ness that I never knew I had, I now get a weekly as opposed to daily version of this drug so Nick is off the hook and wont have to inject me. Another upside is that the nurse spent a good 10 seconds pinching my stomach to find a bit that was 'less toned' to inject. Apparently I have a toned stomach. That's new. Never heard that before. I told her that maybe vomiting is the new sit up. Once a day and you've a six pack. Or maybe this nurse only deals with the gastric bypass patients and has never seen anyone below 500lbs. A far more likely explanation.

I think it's time to break all chemo laws and take some paracetamol to numb the pain and go to bed for 2 days until it stops. That'll be 2 days closer to the end. FML as the kids say.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its amazing how you find the silver lining in everything Sona! heres to a flat stomach!!! on another note I have no idea what FML means...I am so not down with the kids. and I dont know how I deleted the above comment but it said the same thing!!! Hope youre doind ok and the paracetamol is kicking in xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a strong lady Sones! You'll pull though the not at all mild bone pain and it'll be back to karating the hell outta pacman. Love you! Sweet dreams Xxx

    ReplyDelete