Friday, May 11, 2012

A day in the life


Unfortunately today was not the day that I wake up feeling back to normal. So, having had enough of being zombied for this round, I'll have to make it the day I feel back to normal. I have a plan for this which, due to the new hand troubles, will need to be amended from last time.

First, I will need to bathe my mouth and throat in saline and anti-fungal mouthwash - I feel some scratchiness in there and the last thing I want is a sore throat. This, like every other day, will be repeated 4 times throughout the day along with 3 teeth brushes. Then, I have to have another attempt at mastering the art of showering without wetting my hands ( no easy feat with no waterproof hand gear I can tell you). Then, I will have dry toast while icing my hands on a bag of frozen peas. We have diagnosed me with 'hand and foot syndrome'. Caused by chemo drugs leaking from the capillaries in your hands and feet leading to you being burned from the inside out causing blisters etc. Making the capillaries contract with coldness seems to be the way forward so today, that's my mission. Once this is done, I will be taking myself for a drive with the windows open. Low energy requirement but provides some fresh air. Its been 3 days since I had fresh air. Hopefully it will wake me up a bit. After this it will definitely be time for a rest, so its back to bed with me for a nap. This evening, I will have some dinner and attempt a trip to see a movie. Low energy and I'll feel like I'm in society again. During the day I will drink 3-4 Litres of water in an attempt to flush the rest of it out of me. I will also swallow more tablets than most people see in a year. I will take some laxatives and be asleep by 10pm at the latest for my 13 hour coma. Ahhhh the life of a cancer patient. Jealous? Thought so.

If I manage all this today, tomorrow should definitely be the day I'm back to normal. Here's hoping for normal. Not sure how normal you can be with skinless hands, but I'm still hoping :)

Being Friday, today in work we would have a meeting at around 10am. We would discuss the week just gone and plan out everything for the following one. Then we'd do some bits and pieces and around 12pm we would order the food for 'fat friday'. Pizza, chipper, whatever was the consensus of the day. We'd all sit together and have our food, some cake which was more often than not provided whether it was a birthday or not, do another hour of 'work' and head home at 3pm. I never realised what a nice way this was to spend a Friday. Make the most of your Friday, you'll miss them when they're gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment