Sunday, June 17, 2012

The weekend before the week

Well, night away was one big expensive disaster. Bad food, bad room, bad bed, bad night. We woke up from a terrible night's sleep at 8am on Saturday morning and looked at eachother - 'should we just go?' Yup. We got up and went home. Disaster. So much for my nice pre-chemo treat! Not to worry. I'll double up on treats next time to make up for it.

Today I'm finding it difficult to think of anything other than the week ahead. Tomorrow I have the PET/CT scan. This in itself is not a worry except that involves a hospital trip, the drinking of 1.5 litres of water before arriving (you wouldn't think this is an issue but believe me it's no easy task at 7am!) and the dreaded 'find a vein' battle. Once all that's done its fine.

Tuesday is another story. The PICC line will be inserted into my vein at 830. This, for those of you who don't know is a tube that is inserted into a vein in my arm and runs, in my veins up close to my heart. 2 tubes then hang permanently from my arm - one to put drugs in, one to take blood out. I am not thrilled about having this hanging out of my arm for the next 4 months but the 'find a vein' games are becoming more stressful than the chemo and so it can't continue. I will have to visit the hospital on my good weeks to get it 'flushed' (run saline through it) and get the bandage changed. I can't get it wet so its 'arm in a bag' showers for me from now on. After this is put in, under local anaesthetic, I have chemo number 5. It's going to be a long, long day.  Then comes the chemo'd days of Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and increasingly, Saturday. Bleugh. Not a nice week to be embarking upon. But after it, I'll be almost halfway to the finish line. Just have to keep going. Scan results on Thursday. 'Never flinch, never weary, never despair' - Winston Churchill. This too, shall pass. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming....

3 comments:

  1. Good luck this week x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep swimming Dory! Will be thinking of you tomorrow, and all week really. Love u, ur such a brave soldier Xx

    ReplyDelete