Sunday, June 3, 2012

Lazy Sunday

I think the worst is over, I'm scared to say it, but writing it on here doesn't count as saying it so I do think the worst is over.

The painkillers they gave me were given with the warning  - 'start with one, they're opium based so quite strong'. I took one on Friday evening, nothing. Took 2 more and fell asleep for 14 hours. Woke up, took 2 more, dribbled while eating breakfast and didn't realise. Drove to my grandparents house and got lost (I've done the drive about 1000 times). Realised I shouldn't be driving and stayed home for the rest of the day. Nick drove us to my parents house for dinner last night where the pain got so bad I had to get into the bath. Immediately came home, more painkillers, back in the bath, temperature shot up (no idea why, it's fine now) 12 more hours sleep. Today, I'm scared to stand up in case the current ache degenerates back into agony. It's Ok, lazy Sunday suits me fine.

Tuesday is round 4. I am SO not ready for another hit. This is the first time I have not felt ready. I blame the neulasta. I'm going to have to have a strongly worded chat with them about this on Tuesday. I can't spend the next 4-5 months going from agony to doped up dribbling mess to sleep and back to agony again. I really need to get round 4 done though as after round 4 comes my scan. This will be done on June 18th, the day before round 5. This means that by the time I get the results I'll have done 5 chemos, 10 weeks. It's far from fun, but it's definitely going very fast. I am so so so so excited to get my scan done. This better be working!

I feel a bit hard done by that, once again, they played down the pain this shot would cause. If people knew what to expect, it might not be as bad. I was expecting mild to moderate pain and I got it and was fine with it. Few paracetamol and I was fine. Then the very NOT mild to moderate pain started and I was NOT fine with it. I also hadn't prepared myself with painkillers, I was out walking a mountain when it started which I wouldn't have been doing if I thought I was about to be crippled in pain.

Suppose the upside is that chemo is going to feel like a hug and a massage in comparison to that neulasta shot. It's all relative. Chemo is no longer my worst enemy, neulasta, I hope we never meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment