Tuesday, April 24, 2012

One down, Eleven to go

Once again, amazed by all the support and messages, dont know how you all even remember what's happening in my crazy world each day but every message makes me smile even if I cant respond, it is so so so appreciated. Thank you.

So, one down. It was a long day. For those of you interested in what it might be like, I'll outline it, the rest of you skip to the end!

Arrived around 815 this morning, line placed into my hand as the veins in my arms are already too bad after all the stabbing over the last 4 weeks. Didn't like this so hoping next time it can go in my arm. Wasn't sore, just cumbersome, I was conscious of moving my hand all day. More blood taken (dont know how I have any left) and my white cell count was analysed and deemed fit for poisoning. Quick couselling session (these are the side effects again, how do you feel, any questions) and back into the chemo room to settle into my recliner for the day. 

They start with an anti-nausea drip, then a hydro-cortisone, then a steroid (as if my face isn't puffy enough from the tumours and general unfortunate genes and eating habits, steroids will be part of my treatment for the next 6 months), bit more saline, some glucose and then the heavy stuff. The first two drugs (A and B)can be injected into my line from the worlds largest syringes. The third one (V) from a drip which took 20 minutes then the final one (D) in a drip which took 2-3 hours. Whatever happened, whatever is in those drugs, I had to pee every 5 minutes. (Too much info? Sorry, I promised an honest blog, warts and all, thats what you're going to get!) Everyone was laughing at me wheeling all my gear in and out of the toilet. I also invariably either pulled my line out each time causing it to fill with blood or broke my machine. Made a total spectacle of myself. These toilet trips were made all the more traumatic by the fact that the first drug (A) turns pee a bright red colour. I was warned, still freaked me out though. For those of you curious as to what a chemo room looks like here's a pic....all of us sitting around with our drips having a chat. Some people knit, some read, some sleep, some chat but overall its a busy, lively, upbeat and in no way depressing place which surprised me. I could pass these people in the street and never know they were ill.


By 330pm I was on my way home armed with the worlds largest prescription list. Picked it up on the way - all drugs to deal with effects of other drugs. Over the next week, in addition to the chemo I will be ingesting this, not actually as many as I'd thought:

So how do I feel now? Wrecked. Kind of like I've been up early (ryanair early) for a flight and traveled all day. You know that tired, slightly nauseous feeling like you dont know what time it is and you want a bed? That's me. The effects will worsen through the night I'm told. Tomorrow will be a good way to judge what the next 2 weeks will be like.

Ok, I did it, I got the blog done...... zzzzzzzzzzzz

9 comments:

  1. My brave soldier Sona. Lots of love. Delighted you've gotten your first day over with and hope the symptoms don't rear their ugly head too much through the night. Sleep tight Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....did you have sleep face, remember when we were off early to barcelona and john very politely asked me "What's wrong with your face?" ah John...so diplomatic.....and you replied.."it's just her sleep face, sheesh"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing woman!! Well done and hope you rest well xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even describing your chemo session you still manage to make me laugh?!!! always positive and strong Im so proud of you buddy,lots and lots of Love, Sinead xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so awesome at writing this I'm so addicted!! First day down babe you'll end up making great friends in there. I recognised some of those drugs....I'm a nerd!! Love ya xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you took it all in your stride today - hope tonight is ok. Big hugs! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME..... U officially GOT CHEMO'D.... what a legend! Any time you fancy a bit of entertainment throughout the session, I am pretty good at dancing...limbo, I could possibly throw in a miming act or two...possible energy depending a game of sherades...
    As you know hugs sent your way. hope your two boys are minding ya, red vom and all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Level 1 complete only 11 more till you beat pacman! You are one awesome lady! Hope you get through tonight ok bird, thinking of you loads xxx

    ReplyDelete