Thursday, April 19, 2012

Cancer = free fillings

There are two lessons in this -

1. If you are about to have chemo GO TO THE DENTIST. I was told my teeth were fine, I mentioned that I was starting chemo next week and ended up with xrays and 2 fillings ('they would have lasted you 10 years but with Chemo they'd be abscessed in a month without fillings'; dentist, 2012).

2. If you would like free dental work, get cancer. On the house filling, best of luck with your treatment and make sure to get checked again at the end of it. Thank you Ms Dentist, I most certainly will be seeing you again in 6 months.

Other teeth/ gum related side effects of chemo apparently include regularly bleeding gums (use a lot of mouthwash as often as possible), mouth ulcers (bonjella, I'll give lysine a go for these too *insert shameless supplement plug here) and very dry mouth (sip water- she's smart this dentist, never would have thought of it. No need for the sarcasm Sona, she's only being nice.)

I have removed Louie's cone of shame, under supervision. He's back to himself already. So far (2 hours) no attempted licking or stitch snatching, he's happy as Larry. Lets see how happy he is when the cone goes back on at bedtime. MOI HA HA HA I'm drunk with power....

Before I go eat my delicious dinner a-la-sister (thanks Nyree!) I just want to, once again, thank everyone for the messages, calls, love, support, help, presents, flowers, cards, prayers, thoughts. It's overwhelming.  What you soon realise when faced with something like this is that it is impossible to be weak when you have so many people holding you up from all sides. Thank you to all my human support beams for keeping me strong :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm officially addicted to your blog soof! Giggles and tears in each one....I always knew you were a genius and without even studying!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The no studying thing is actually never going to get old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can account for the no studying... remember the schol exams.. coffee break anyone?!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete