Monday, July 2, 2012

ABVD x4

After meeting with the head haematology oncologist guy today (who after his holidays was tanned and smiling, leaving me resenting him just a little), I am happy to reduce my treatment by 2 months. The basic logic was that it's gone, why over treat it which will just cause further toxicity and risk of second malignancies. No thank you. Mr cancer can stay well away, I've had enough of him for a lifetime. Lets hope hes learned his lesson.

I had a lovely weekend away. Very glad I disobeyed doctors orders and headed off anyway. I miss airports and planes and basically just doing things, going places, having a life.

Now, here we are again. The night before chemo. Bleugh. There are very few things I wouldn't give to not have any more of that stuff pumped into me. It will however, thanks to my treatment reduction put me at 3/4 of the way through chemo.

I would have thought the clear scan, the word remission, the fact that my treatment will be 2 months shorter than planned would spur me on. It has had the opposite effect. Even though the end seems so much more achievable, the chemo itself is seeming increasingly arduous. I'm not sure if this is because I know the scan was clean and am having a 'THE CANCER'S GONE LEAVE ME ALONE' moment, or whether it is just the nature of chemo and, as promised, the effects are cumulative. There are definitely no more days where I feel 100%. Even the days where I feel 50% are few and far between. Don't get me wrong, I am not nauseous or in pain all the time. It's just the fatigue. A strange type of fatigue that can not be eased by rest or sleep. Just a general feeling of exhaustion that hangs around no matter how you spend your day. My hair is getting thinner and thinner. My eyebrows and eyelashes really struggling to stay attached. I get nauseous and kind of sweaty just entering the doors of the hospital, even when I know I am not having chemo. My legs ache night and day, not unbearably so, just like I've been standing for 10 hours. Reminds me of my waitressing days. I am however getting used to my tubular arm friend, Mr. PICC line. My new arm sock coupled with some general healing of the wound and dying off of some nerves means I have regained 80% function in my arm. 4 more weeks my little friend. Then you're in the bin.

Just like I get nauseous entering the hospital, I am experiencing negative connotations with lots of other things. Goodfells chicken provencal pizza - Nick ate one one night soon after my first chemo. Just the sight of the box now turns my stomach. Melba toast and jacobs cream crackers will never again cross my lips. I can't use my iPad, earphones (sorry mawts, but Nick is making excellent use of them!) or watch the UK office. Too many chemo sessions spent on them to ever be able to do it again. I stopped rinsing my mouth with salt water as prescribed after my second chemo. I realised it was going to create and aversion and really didn't want to never enjoy the sea again. I am sad to say even my new, very expensive, very comfortable, amazing bed is starting to remind me of chemo. I've considered sleeping in the spare room for the remainder of treatment in a hope to stop this is its tracks. Soup -they bring trolleys of it around at lunchtime in the chemo ward. I also ate a lot of it during the worst days of nausea. Never again. Soup is definitely out. Alcohol - they swab everything with it. The room stinks of it. Lucky I was never a lover of spirits or alcohol in general or I would really be feeling the effects of this one. Hand sanitiser and hospital soap - reminds me of my many mid chemo toilet trips, IV wheeling along behind me beeping. Constantly knocking the needle out, tubes backing up with blood. Red pee. Anything you associate with red pee is never going to be liked again is it?! I'm definitely going to start making a conscious effort to avoid things I like for the next 4-6 weeks (woohoo only 4-6 weeks left!!!) to make sure this list doesn't grow.

Anyway, I say it a lot, I mean it a lot - be glad of whatever you're doing tomorrow that doesn't involve chemo. I wish I were you. Nearly there....nearly there.....

2 comments:

  1. Keep it up dude..you really are nearly there!! X x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're into the home stretch Sones, it won't be long now Xx

    ReplyDelete