Saturday, August 25, 2012

The day of the clot(s)

So yesterday was a fun day. I woke up and my right arm was twice the size of my left arm, numb and blue. Not pretty. I obviously immediately realised there was some sort of blood issue and drove myself quicksmart to the hospital. Ultrasound showed 'extensive thrombosis' throughout the vein that my PICC line was in. Basically, clots had formed around the PICC line from my shoulder to lower arm and into other nearby veins. Not a pretty sight.

Out came the PICC line and, after 7 hours being tested and prodded and poked, I walked out with another, yes ANOTHER prescription. This time it's daily blood thinner injections for 1-3months and then warfarin if 3 months of injections hasn't done the job. Oh joy.

Unfortunately, my uber-crap veins are still not good enough for even a blood draw after their 2 months of chemo beating before the PICC was put in and so there's no hope of me getting through my last 3 rounds without a PICC and so, on Tuesday, before my 10th hit, I will need to have another PICC inserted into my other arm. The injections should prevent the same thing from happening to this one.

So, in advice to anyone who has or will ever have a PICC line, the second it starts to feel heavy or just 'wrong' get it pulled. My arm felt weird for at least a week before this but I paid no attention as I had no specific symptoms to explain to a doctor. Very much like leaving my diagnosis for months and months before it eventually showed a physical symptom. Sometimes you just know your body, you know something's wrong. Make them keep looking until they figure out what it is.

Nobody's really saying what effect this new problem is going to have on my holiday (yes, this is still all I'm worried about). Hopefully the shots will mean that a flight to Greece which is obviously not long haul won't be a problem. The main thing is that there will be no treatment delay which is my biggest fear at the moment. I need these last 3 on time or my beloved holiday can't happen. The doctor who removed the PICC line laughed when I said this 'Oh I've heard about you, give me the last dose quickly I'm outta here on a plane'. Apparently most people wouldn't be crazy enough to go on holiday a week after their 12th chemo session? Personally I can't think of a better time. Except maybe 5 weeks after their last chemo session which what I will also do. And 4 months after their last chemo session and probably a couple of times in between.

After this, life will be a holiday.

1 comment:

  1. Oh hun! Damn picc line! And you did the Sona, I'm sure it's grand :-) Well I suppose you'll know in the future of anything feels dodgy, just say it feels dodgy!! There are holidays to go on after all!! :-)

    ReplyDelete