Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Final score:LymphSona 12- Pacman 0

It's official - it's gone. I got the news last Friday but wanted to wait until I was 100% sure (after my near miss with remission 4 months ago) before I posted on here.

I saw the head honcho yesterday who confirmed (and then I confirmed it because I took the scan report to read in front of him) that everything is 100% normal. No enlarged nodes which is kind of a big deal for us NSHL folk whose disease causes 'scar' nodes to be left around the body. No FDG uptake on the pet scan which means only cells that we WANT to be there are actually there. No apparent long term lung damage (which means no more steroids and I can allow my lungs to repair naturally). I am allowed stop my blood thinner injections in about 2 weeks once I've finished a course of 3 months which my poor stomach will definitely thankful for (it's getting VERY difficult to put on socks with all these bruises. Woe is me.) AND.....too much information warning....look away now..... I got my first period in 4 months which means NO MORE MENOPAUSE AND NO INFERTILITY da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :)

I was allowed walk out of the building with only a promise to return for a check up scan in 6 months. 6 months with no doctors, nurses, hospitals nothing. I don't know how I'll cope. Aside from being deliriously happy all the time and especially every second Tuesday when I don't have to get up and go for my poison pump.

Now that I am officially in remission I've decided to put myself on hair watch. Unfortunately I don't think I took many pictures of the remnants of my hair towards the end, but suffice to say it was pretty dismal. A few long wirey stragglers that I couldn't bring myself to just shave off despite Nick's begging. What if they gave me a head start (excuse the pun) in hair regrowth stage? Turns out he was right, they all either fell out or were so useless I just shaved them off. So, here I am, 6 weeks out of chemo officially on hair watch 2012....







I have a hairline, and lots of tiny, thin, but finally once again NOT WHITE, hairs!! I do look a little unsure in this picture, let's face it, I don't exactly look good so it's hard to be beaming with confidence :) Please also note 16 eyelashes. 





And from the back. Apparently, not an easy task to take a photo of the back of your own head. I got there in the end. Kinda. But look at all those pretty hairs!! Not a lot as such, but it's a lot to me :)









So what now? Well, in the immediate future I'll be off on holiday number 2. In the next hour in fact. My two boys are being left home to fend for themselves while I head back off to the sun. I haven't been away from them in a year. The idea of it now bothers me a huge amount. Time to cut the apron strings Nick, I'm off again!

It's a weird feeling to think I'm done. Can I really just say Ok, done, back to life as it was before? Or will something always seem just a little bit different? Or a lot different? One thing is for sure. Lesson learned - you never know what's coming for you. There's no point worrying, worrying about things, by it's nature, means you've already considered them and their consequences. The only thing that can really throw a spanner in the works are the things you never thought of. The things you never thought could happen to you. Even then, you cope.

I intend to keep the blog going,  not just doctors appointments (as not much point in keeping it going once every six months) and certainly not about my daily life as, without cancer, I'm fairly boring. I'll just see what happens. Thanks so much for your loyal readership, comments, kind words and love so far. I mean it when I say it would have been quite a lot worse without you xxxx

10 comments:

  1. Ah Sona what amazing news!!! I hope you have a great holiday as you really deserve it and I wish you all the luck in the world.
    You really are an inspiration x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOHOO!! That is incredible news Sona. So so happy for you and yours xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am just so delighted for you Sona! Enjoy your hols Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't know each other; I stumbled across this blog when I saw it posted by one of our mutual friends. I've never left a comment before because I didn't want to look like a creepy stalker, but today is the day I can! Having followed your posts from the start, I have had my fingers crossed for you and am absolutely delighted to hear everything's coming up rosy. I wish you the hugest congratulations and the utmost happiness for your sunshiney future ahead :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful News Sona. We are all so very happy for you. Paula & family XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sona I am soooooooooooooo happy for you!!! I am about 7 weeks behind you treatment-wise, and have been looking to your blog again and again for inspiration since I began treatment- You never let me down! Thanks for all the wit, wisdom, honesty and humor you have shared. It truly has helped me through this insane hodge experience. Enjoy your holiday!!!! And that's an AWESOME head of hair you've got going there. It looks super cute! :) I might have some eyelash envy, alas - think mine are in single digits - ha ha! Thanks again for sharing your experience; I am sure there are so many like me that you have helped without even knowing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so delighted for you Sona! I hope the future holds years and years of love and laughs and children and dogs and madness and fun for you! Am gonna read back over your October post, but so delighted there was a happy ending! And I'll smile taking my vitamins everyday to see your name on them! Hope to meet you in real life someday, take care, Niamh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi sona delighted for you hope you have a lovely holiday you so deserve it long life and happiness hope that's the end of

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sona. I was glad to read your blog and read the news of your recovery.

    You, and your words, are an inspiration! Indeed, so much so, that you'll perhaps be surprised to learn that your words (repeated below) were used by an extremely ill person who recently contacted me to attempt to explain away her own behaviour under the guise of a mystery "illness".

    "It's a weird feeling to think I'm done. Can I really just say Ok, done, back to life as it was before? Or will something always seem just a little bit different? Or a lot different? One thing is for sure. Lesson learned - you never know what's coming for you."

    I don't know you, but I am glad that you are in good health! You should be glad that your words inspire others as well.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hair fall disease give the great stress on the mind of the people to whom are suffering from that disease . The people whom are suffering from it use the many medicines and treatment to reduce the stress from their mind but they should take Physiotherapy North Ryde instead of using other treatments.

    ReplyDelete